Thursday, July 23, 2009

Socio-Economic Equity Issues in the Classroom

Today in Eugenie Potter's EDUC-649 "Foundational Perspectives on Educational Reform" class we heard a group presentation that addressed several important components to consider in classroom equity, including disability, gender, race, socio-economic, and language. I was struck by a panel member's comment when highlighting socio-economic issues (and I'm paraphrasing here) that it's safe to assume that since we're all in the MAC program here at the University of Michigan we probably aren't struggling with this harsher issues our students may be dealing with economically. I think we need to be careful as teachers making generalized assumptions like this. Yes, I'm in the prestigious MAC program at one of the wealthiest schools in the country but it doesn't change the fact that I live with daily fear I'll have to drop out because of the issues my family is currently struggling with. I know she meant no harm suggesting this but it reminded me of the importance of not making such blanket statements based on appearances, especially within our own classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this important reminder, Lara. You are generous to share this. Your comments also serve to remind us how important it is to try to slowly gain more information about your students, so that (amongst other things) we can guard against making too many assumptions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing on my blog.